Seiten

Dienstag, 24. Dezember 2019

The Republic - Plato


Cover:
Love it! Had the pleasure to work with Quentin Blake for a blogpost once <3

Synopsis:
What is justice? In Plato’s Socratic dialogue, The Republic, the citizens of ancient Greece explore the world’s most fundamental question.
In search of an ideal civilization, Socrates leads Glaucon, Polemarchus, Thrasymachus, and others in debates about various subjects, including justice, truth, class, and art. For without righteousness, tyranny and injustice give rise to oligarchy.
The influential dialogues of The Republic helped shape all of Western literature and philosophical thought. It is as much a doctrine of ethics and politics now as it was for the ancient Greeks, and its dilemma remains: how to create a perfect society populated by very imperfect human beings.
My thoughts and opinion:
Good God. I don't know whether it was the translation or if Plato just isn't for me but this was so goddamn exhausting to read. Also, please be aware that if you buy this version there are around 260!!! pages of "introduction and analysis" which totally took the fun out of it for me. I didn't know whether to skip that or not. In the end, I did skip it and it didn't make a difference. Furthermore, I didn't even finish this book. My time is too precious for this.

Genre: Novel 
ISBN:  B072R4H8BC

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen